Five checks + 20 minutes = weeks of peace of mind A vehicle safety check doesn’t have to be a long, drawn-out affair. Take 20 minutes to perform five important checks and you can drive with confidence.
1. Tyres and wheels. Put your nose to the rubber and check that the tyre tread isn’t worn below the tread wear indicators. Next, look for hairline cracks or bulges, and see that there aren’t any foreign objects lodged in the tread. If you have a tyre gauge, use it to check the pressure. Check wheels for cracks and damage. Now repeat for all four tyres and wheels plus the spare.
2. Leaks. Scan beneath the car for oil or coolant leaks.
3. Lights. Check headlights, foglights, indicators, brake and reverse lights by turning off the garage lights and looking for reflections against the walls or rope-in a human to help.
4. Windows and mirrors. Inspect windows and mirrors for cracks and if they’re not clean enough to see out of, roll up your shirtsleeves and fix that.
5. Finally, open the bonnet and inspect all the fluid levels you’re able to. Most fluids are in see-through containers and easy to check. Use the dipstick to check your oil. Make sure you replace and tighten any caps you remove while checking.
Prefer to leave it to the pros? Good thinking, Batman. Bring your vehicle to Tyres & More and we’ll give it a FREE safety check and have you back on the road in no time at all.